20 September 2026

Helen Thomas’s letter to Samuel J. Looker dated 20 June 1948

 



This letter was found amongst Samuel J. Looker's papers that were acquired by the RJS and is now part of the Looker Archives held at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Chippenham. Helen Thomas wishes to express her thanks to Looker for his address to the audience celebrating the Richard Jefferies Centenary event on Saturday 19 June 1948. The party had walked from the Corn Exchange in Old Town, Swindon, leaving  at 2pm, to Dayhouse Farm, Coate (the birthplace of Jessie (Baden) Jefferies. At around 3pm, Looker gave his talk to the assembled crowd. It is interesting to note in the letter that Edward Thomas’s biography of Richard Jefferies “received hardly any notice” when it was first published in 1909.  

 

20/6/48

Starwell Farm   Sheldon   Chippenham

Wiltshire

Dear Mr. Looker

At the moment when our party had to leave to catch our train, you were so surrounded by people that I felt I could not disturb you.

But I was sorry to leave without saying goodbye to you & thanking you for the lovely day of which the talks about Jefferies were the chief items.

I am quite sure the impassioned utterances would inspire any of the audiences who did not know the works of Jefferies to read him & in the light of all you have said understand and love him.

I also want to thank you for the many more numerous references to my husband’s biog of Richard Jefferies which at the time of publication received hardly any notice at all. It warmed my heart to hear his work so perceived and by one who would be a severe critic of any book about Jefferies, & I left the meeting full of elation & happiness.

I feel sure you must have felt what a deep impression you have made on that most receptive audience, so unaffectedly sincere & interested, & so interesting & so successful in making the day the day it was. I only hope you were not too exhausted by it all.

Many people spoke to me of Edward & of my own little book & I confess I felt emotionally overwhelmed, & so I can well imagine your state at the end of that unforgettable day.

Ever yours sincerely

      

       Helen Thomas