20/6/48
Starwell
Farm Sheldon Chippenham
Wiltshire
Dear Mr. Looker
At the moment when our party had
to leave to catch our train, you were so surrounded by people that I felt I
could not disturb you.
But I was sorry to leave without
saying goodbye to you & thanking you for the lovely day of which the talks
about Jefferies were the chief items.
I am quite sure the impassioned
utterances would inspire any of the audiences who did not know the works of
Jefferies to read him & in the light of all you have said understand and love
him.
I also want to thank you for the
many more numerous references to my husband’s biog of Richard Jefferies which
at the time of publication received hardly any notice at all. It warmed my
heart to hear his work so perceived and by one who would be a severe critic of
any book about Jefferies, & I left the meeting full of elation & happiness.
I feel sure you must have felt
what a deep impression you have made on that most receptive audience, so
unaffectedly sincere & interested, & so interesting & so successful
in making the day the day it was. I only hope you were not too exhausted by it
all.
Many people spoke to me of Edward
& of my own little book & I confess I felt emotionally overwhelmed,
& so I can well imagine your state at the end of that unforgettable day.
Ever yours sincerely
Helen
Thomas

