19 September 2026

 REFLECTIONS is the title Richard Jefferies gave to his undated thoughts (purchased by Samuel Looker on two sheets of paper) written in his own hand. It is likely that Jefferies wrote the following whilst living in the bleak cottage called 'The Downs' in Crowborough (Sussex). The family lived there from July 1885 to November 1886.


 Oil painting of 'The Downs' by Cyril Wright, July 1976 with owner Delcy Field-Buss at the gate.
Dedication plaque above front door.

As I was starting out it came on to spot raining and being susceptible to moisture (not as a drinking but a rheumatic way) I had to go back and put on my coat. When my boy came to me with a pitiful story of an injury to his tricycle and might he take it to the blacksmiths and get it repaired? At the foot of the steps I met the post­man with a letter that had to be answered and while I was scrawling it a friend arrived.

After we had been in this twelve-month we found that it was too much exposed—the wind came round the corner furiously; the upper rooms were uninhabitable from cold; basement cold. Just when I wanted money most in order to move, the oldest firm in the trade stopped payment--there were assets but it would require 12 months to realise. A tremendous jerk of the elephant. A capital appointment was offered to me but, as I could not move, I could not take it.

Nothing runs like the express—that is the least part of the journey—the real travelling is in the starting and the end: eternal worries to start, all directions, and the one thing forgotten. At the end the cob, dirty, enters the wrong road, refuses to go further, bribery, got a man to show the way, find a box dropped off half a mile back, weary, rheumatic twinges and shaken.